-

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Charles defends Canadian triple jump title

Tabia Charles, seen at the Beijing Olympics, competes in both the long and triple jump.  Tabia Charles, seen at the Beijing Olympics, competes in both the long and triple jump. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

Tabia Charles successfully defended her title in women's triple jump on Sunday afternoon at the Canadian track and field championships in Toronto.

Charles made her first two jumps at 12.62 and 12.89 metres and faulted on her next two before taking a pass on her remaining jumps to win the event for the second straight year.

"I am happy with where I am at in this event," said Charles, who holds the Canadian record of 13.94 metres. "This is an event that I have put on the backburner because I have not had a jump coach for a while.

"With this event, you have to be technical all the time."

Charles, who graduated from the University of Miami where she made the dean's list, said her main focus is on the long jump, in which she finished second on Saturday with a leap of 6.75 metres.

Charles, who intends to pursue a career in either modelling or fashion design, made an expected fashion statement at Varsity Stadium.

"I am representing pink today," the stylish athlete said. "People come in and pay their money and I gave them a show. I couldn't just wear the regular briefs because everybody looks the same.

"I like to come out there and represent and let people know it's me. I like to put a little spice into it."

Espanola, Ont., high school student Caroline Ehrhardt, who broke Charles's record leap of 12.36 metres seven years ago at last month's OFSAA championships at Varsity with a jump of 12.76 metres, was second with a mark of 12.45.

Neb Zachariah of Guelph, Ont., was third with a jump of 12.38 metres followed by Alicia Smith (12.00) and Tiffany Sprenkels (11.77).